Monday, June 27, 2016

The Weight of Lies





I just stepped up my blog game in a major way. If I pull this off like I think I have, watch out world. I believe this is what Al Gore had in mind when he created the interweb, for folks like me to "link" (technical term, look it up) information so others could see it.



Take a few minutes to listen to the song, it's kind of catchy. It talks about the weight of lies, and how they will follow you everywhere, if you don't deal with them yourself. Some of that is my interpretation. Here is the application as it pertains to Thriving:



Think about everything that we tell ourselves on a daily basis. How do we speak to ourselves about how we look, how good (or more likely, how bad) we are, or what we can and can't do. How often do we compare ourselves unfairly to others, and how often does that comparison have us coming up short? One of my friends has a sign in his house that says, "comparison is the thief of all joy". I think that is pretty cool, and also very true. When we try to measure ourselves up against everyone else (and their facebook and pinterest lives) we usually come up short. Or we say to ourselves, "if I only had what she had, or if I had the resources they had, or if I was a little bit more____ or a little bit less____, then _____" These are all lies that we tell ourselves, and we do it fairly consistently.



My encouragement for you is this:

Don't allow the weight of lies to bring you down. Not the lies that we tell ourselves, or the lies that others are so eager to spout (more on this later). Don't handicap yourself before you even start the day with negative self talk. The truth is this, God created us each to be unique, and he wants us to do more than survive life's challenges, he wants us to thrive in the midst of them. Check out 1 Corinthians 7:17: Only let each person lead the life that the Lord has assigned to him and to which God has called him. This is my rule in all the churches. Also, Romans 8:37: In all these things we are more than conquerors, through him who has loved us.



Don't listen to the lies of this world, of discouragers, who tell you things that are contrary to the promises of God, which are eternal and will last long beyond the challengess of this day. T-Swfit (that's right) says that haters gonna hate. It's inevitable. But don't hate on yourself, abide in the promises of God. You were created to Thrive.



Much Love,

Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment